Sunday, February 20, 2022

My Collection Of Spoons

My Collection Of Spoons

 

Most people I know collect one thing or another. I hardly know anyone who doesn’t have a tiny obsession with a strange object. Let me share with you the object that I love to collect: spoons. Yes, you read that right; I love to collect silverware. Many people are likely wondering why, out of all of the possible objects to collect in the world; I have chosen to collect spoons.

 

Well, great question. My answer began fifteen years ago when I took a traveling writer for a magazine. I got the opportunity to travel to all of these fantastic places throughout the U.S. and around the world. As I began my travels, my friends and family started asking me what I would bring them back from each location I visited.

One morning, I was in a coffee shop when it hit me with “spoons!” I wasn’t prepared for how traveling would cause me to bring souvenirs to friends and family. The idea had never crossed my mind. As I made my first road trip across the country, I began thinking of ideas in my head for what I could bring back from all of the foreign and exotic places I traveled, or even from the state next door.

 

I have no idea where the thought came from, but once it arrived, it stayed. It grew to become such a strong impression that I couldn’t forget about it. I had to get spoons for myself and for everyone else I knew. I thought that most people would appreciate a spoon from different places. Not only because they were a unique souvenir but also because they were something that everyone could use.

 

You might be shocked to learn how much the people in my life have enjoyed the spoons I am giving them. Many of them frequently comment about what a clever idea I had. My own spoons collection is growing rather nicely and is taking over an entire section of my dining room wall. I have been putting my spoons on display since I started collecting them. I now have nearly seventy spoons from our country and around the world. Some are more unique than others, but I love them all equally.

 

My point is this: collect something. Grab a little something special from the places you go. Choose spoons or something else entirely, but do it. Life is worth it.

 

 

Photo: https://pixabay.com